Friday, July 29, 2011

RAGBRAI Day Six

RAGBRAIberry R.F.D.  I have spent the last six days riding along sideq and mixed within literally thousands of bike riders and I have not witnessed a single altercation amongst riders. This is truly amazing to me because of the thousands of ways an altercation could just simply happen by circumstance.  People have truly been on their best behavior out on the road.

Such a mixture of people too. Every age group and body type is accounted for as well as all types of physical abilities yet people fit right together and make it all work.

I gave this accomplishment some thought and I came up with this.  It is Iowa's fault.

I can not claim to have visited every state in the union but there is a reason why the worlds longest running and I believe also thelargest organized bike ride is in Iowa and that is because it works in Iowa.

Riding a bike through Iowa brings a calming and serene feeling to a person. Rolling through the hill laden country side has been truly peaceful.

I cannot even begin to say enough about the greetings at the towns. Every town we have passed through is genuinely eager to welcome and sorry to see you go so soon.  I so often feel like I am turnin down a personal invitation to stay and visit for a while when I head out of town.

The is a simpleness in Iowa that I find refreshing and relaxing. I will bet Iowa has the largest number of unlocked doors at night per capita than any state in the union.

I will certainly be back.  Probably for RAGBRAI but then again maybe just to stop and say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment